Monday, June 16, 2008

Can you explain "the last days"?

post originated by Mary at JWD... thanx

OK, I was working on my project about "New Light" and I came across a very interesting statement that was made 24 years ago via the WT:

December 1, 1984 Watchtower:

"....Have apostates who claim that "the last days" began at Pentecost and cover the entire Christian Era promoted Christian alertness? Have they not, rather, induced spiritual sleepiness?...."

February 15, 2008 Watchtower:

".....Since Jesus did not use negative qualifiers when speaking to them about "this generation," the apostles would no doubt have understood that they and their fellow disciples were to be part of the "generation" that would not pass away "until all these things [would] occur....."

So let me get this straight: If you believe that "the last days" started 2,000 years ago at Pentecost, then you're an 'apostate', but if you believe that "this generation" which is supposed to see "the last days", started 2,000 years ago, you're 'keeping up with Jehovah's Organization.

Am I reading this right? I wasn't even aware of the 1984 quote before, but I think, given the 'new light' about "this generation" and how it supposedly started 2,000 years ago and has covered the entire Christian Era, is quite interesting and I'd love to know how a Witness would answer you on that one.